Earth Day is April 22nd and we are now approaching the last few days of our Get Grounded for Earth Day Giveaway and Sale. We have received so many excellent tips on how to save and protect our water. Congratulations to this weeks 2 winners: Eileen O & Denise H.
“What we are living with is the result of human choices and it can be changed by making better, wiser choices.” — Robert Redford
This week we will explore how to look after the earth by reusing, recycling and reducing our product waste.
Household waste can be divided into these 3 categories: about one-third is composed of paper; one-third is organic waste: food scraps, grass clippings, dead plants etc.; and the final third is made up of glass, metals, plastics, textiles (clothing, linens), wood, and other materials (electronic waste, washing machines, old furniture, rubber tires).
Reasons to Recycle, Reuse and Reduce:
- If all morning newspapers read in this country were recycled, 41,000 trees would be saved daily and 6 million tons of waste would never end up in landfills.
- Or get your fill of news electronically and don’t use newspapers
- Products made from recycled steel reduce water use by 40%, water pollution by 76%, air pollution by 86%, and mining wastes by 97%.
- Americans use 4 million plastic bottles every hour but only 1 out of 4 is recycled.
- One ton of paper made completely from recycled scrap saves 7,000 gallons of water, 4100 kilowatt hours of energy and 17 trees.
- Approximately 10% of the food Americans buy at the supermarket is thrown out. This results in dumping the equivalent of more than 21 million shopping bags full of food into landfills every year.
Our contribution can only be what we can do to support the earth’s sustainability for our collective future.
As my Grandma dear Ethel said, ‘Do It Now’ a dashboard sticker in her purple car a constant reminder.
We’ve been very thrilled to receive all of your tips – oh so many and so useful.
Share with us how you and your family Recycle, Reuse and Reduce for a chance to win a Libre Mug!
From Tuesday April 16th until Monday April 22nd we are randomly choosing winners from the daily Earth Day tips received.
Daily winners to date:
April 16th – No tips rec’d – 2 will be chosen Apr. 22nd
April 17th – Anne B
April 18th – Jessica F
There are 5 more Libre Mugs to giveaway!
There is still time to save when you order your Libre Mugs!
Save 30% with coupon code
April 5th-22nd, 2013 Midnight PST