Yoga is a great way to exercise, reconnect with your core and create a healthier you. So why not take your yoga practice outdoors for even more health benefits.
Yoga was originally an outdoor practice, done in a beautiful peaceful environment. If you’ve never tried yoga outside, you will notice many distractions such as passersbys, dogs barking, planes overhead, robins singing, uneven ground….. Here the distraction, then let it go, breathe deeply and continue your practice.
There’s also the satisfying solidity of the earth beneath your feet, the green grass between your toes, the sun to warm you, the fresh breeze on your skin, and the mesmerizing sky above.
Here are a few tips on having an outdoor yoga practice:
- Pick a spot with partial shade or go early in the morning or later in the afternoon when the sun is not the hottest
- To get the most out of your outdoor surroundings and really connect with them, choose a spot with as natural a view as possible, even if it’s only gathering of trees, your garden or balcony with some lovely potted plants.
- Leave your yoga mat at home and enjoy the feeling of the grass and dirt beneath your feet, while you connect with
- Focus your practice being in the moment, be aware, breathe deeply, and practice stillness. Feel the warmth from the sun, the cool breeze blowing and the various new smells, such as the ocean, pine trees, grass, flowers….
Yoga is for all ages and can be adapted to most health conditions. Our Libre Leading Light Steffany Moonaz is a Yoga Therapist who has created and evaluated a yoga program for individuals with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. Steffany Moonaz is the Founder of Yoga for Arthritis. Libre Leading Light Helena Zera-Axelrod founder of Vyana Yoga has written an informative article on Arthritis and how Yoga can be beneficial.
Libre Tea glasses are perfect to take with you for your outdoor yoga practice. They’ll keep your water cool and your tea warm as you enjoy your outdoor yoga session.
For a few more outdoor yoga ideas you may want to check out these sites:
- Yoga Journal – 38 Health Benefits of Yoga
- Woman’s Health Magazine – 6 Tips for Bringing your Yoga Practice Outside
- Whole Living – Outdoor Yoga Routine
- Elephant Journal – Take Your Yoga Outdoors